I had the pleasure of listening to Allen Scott yesterday – winner of the Sir Peter Hall 2013 Regional Studies Award.
Cognitive-Cultural Economy was used to describe the emerging economy, much the same way as the Digital Economy or Information Economy has been discussed. The use of a different word here was particularly interesting as it did not carry the baggage from other uses. Digital and Information does have too close a link to the IT industry and can easily be confused.
A couple of other interesting points brought out in the talk were:
- This is about urban and regional development on a global scale
- The economy is multi-cultural and cross sectoral in nature
- There are world cities that are emerging as power houses for this new economy (e.g. London, New York, Shanghai etc.)
- At the heart there is core capability that defines their worth and at the periphery there is entrepreneurship that delivers value to very specific/unique segments
- Competition is based on quality of what is provided and earning trust
Not being familiar with his work a simple Google search revealed many works
I have decided to read “The Emergence of The Relationship Economy: The New Order of Things to Come” – to better understand his work.
Anyone read his work?
Any guidance on where to focus effort my effort?